After the Second World War, England's existing circuits had fallen into disrepair. And so, on the site of a wartime airfield, Silverstone Circuit was developed by the Royal Automobile Club. At the inception of the F1 World Championship in 1950, Silverstone hosted the very first round.
The area is very flat mainly consisting of a series of long straights connected by fast, open corners. In more recent years, a number of modifications have been made to the corners around the Grand Prix circuit to add extra interest, and more overtaking and viewing points.
The Becketts/maggots complex is rated among the best corners of any circuit. The owners, the British Racing Drivers Club, have invested heavily in the pit and paddock facilities and the grandstands and spectator areas.
There are two smaller track layouts used for national racing. For Formula 1, it has been much modified to slow cars down to safe limits, but this has been done without adding chicanes. Over the winter of 1998/99, an impressive new BRDC Clubhouse was built on the inside of Woodcote corner.
Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates and promotions